Donald McGeary Waterous

Unit at enlistment: 
125th Battalion
Volunteered or conscripted: 
Survived the war: 
Farrindgdon Cemetery, Brantford, Ontario
Commemorated at: 
Zion Presbyterian Church
Birth country: 
Birth county: 
Birth city: 
Brantford, Ontario
Address at enlistment: 
137 Park Avenue, Brantford, Ontario
Next of kin address: 
137 Park Avenue, Brantford, Ontario
Trade or calling: 
Waterous Engine Co.
Religious denominations: 
Marital status: 
Age at enlistment: 

Letters and documents

BX August 13, 1918
Four Brantford Officers Are On Honor Roll – Lieuts. Slemin, Waterous, Seago and Millar Wounded Today in Allied Drive – Casualties Happened Last Thursday as Boys Went Over the Top

Four Brantford officers, all formerly of the First Brants, the 125th Battalion, are officially reported today as having been wounded in the big drive on the Picardy front. They are as follows: Lieut. Duff Slemin, Lieut. Don Waterous, Lieut. Sam Seago and Lieut. Lorne Millar.

The official advices came through this morning from the department of records at Ottawa, and the casualties occurred Aug. 8, the initial day of the big advance by the Canadians who went over the top on Thursday morning last.

In only one case was the nature of the wounds received reported as severe. Chief Slemin this morning received the following: “Regret to report that Lieut. Charles Dufferin Slemin has been admitted to hospital at Le Treport, suffering from gunshot wound, right thigh; severe.” In the other cases the advice from Ottawa merely mentioned the fact that the officers above mentioned had been wounded. The word concerning Lieut. Lorne Millar came from his mother in Toronto, who was notified yesterday.

Lieut. Slemin belonged to the original 125th Battalion and was later transferred to the 215th Battalion with which he left for overseas. On arrival in England he was transferred back to the 125th at Witley, and reverted from the rank of captain to that of lieutenant in order to get across to France. Lieuts. Millar, Waterous and Seago all belonged to the original First Brants, and went through the rigorous training for the fifth Division in England, prior to that division being broken up. They left for France last spring, and all belong to the Third Division, which has been recently engaged in the great advance.

Lieut. Lorne Millar has already arrived in England, having been admitted to the third southern General hospital at Southampton. Particulars of the casualties are being eagerly and anxiously awaited by the relatives and friends of the boys today reported in the Dominion’s honor roll.

It was stated this morning that it must have been only recently that Lieut. Duff Slemin could have returned to the front, as advices had been received a few days ago that he had been in hospital suffering from a knockout from a big shell. Evidently he must have recovered in time in order to get back to the big show.

BX August 14, 1918

Is Re-Assuring

Although having received official advice that their son, Lieutenant Donald McGeary Waterous, was wounded on August 8, the advice coming yesterday, Mr. and Mrs. Waterous received on the 12th a cable from their son acknowledging receipt of magazines sent to him, and stating that he was fine. It is believed that the cable was intended as a re-assuring one for the anxious parents when they received the official despatch.

BX August 19, 1918

Mr. and Mrs. David Waterous received a cable from their son Don last evening. It announced that he had been admitted to the hospital at Epsom with a wound in his left arm.

BX February 3, 1975

Former Industrialist Dies

Donald M. Waterous of 346 Dufferin Avenue, the former president of Waterous Limited, died in the Brantford General Hospital on Monday.

Mr. Waterous retired in 1954 after 41 years with the family company, now Koehring-Waterous Limited.  He started with the company in 1913 and worked in many departments of the shop and engineering.

Mr. Waterous was a former chairman of the Brantford Airport Commission.  He was also a member of the Doric Masonic Lodge, the Brantford Shriner’s Club and the Kiwanis Club of Brantford.

He also served on the session of the Zion United Church.

Mr. Waterous served as a lieutenant in France during the First World War and was wounded at Amiens in 1918.

He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Matthews, and three daughters; Mrs. E.D. (Frances) Vance, Brantford; Mrs. C.J. (Barbara) Walstrom, Medford, Oregon; Mrs. W.J. (Sally) McCartney, Beaconsfield, Quebec and nine grandchildren.

The family will receive friends at the Beckett-Glaves funeral Home and Chapel on Brant Avenue on Tuesday afternoon and evening.  A private family service will be held Wednesday with Rev. George Leck of Zion United Church officiating.

Interment will be in Farringdon Burial Ground on Mount Pleasant Road.